Thursday, February 28, 2013

Denim Skirt Craziness

In a recent post, I mentioned that I had made a couple of denim skirts at the end of last year. I finally got around to getting some photos of them last night, so now it's time to share!


I actually planned to make two denim skirts from the start, just one a bit "fancier" than the other. I drafted my own pattern from an existing denim skirt that I own - I've actually used this skirt as a pattern previously for a couple of other skirts, so this time I made up some proper pattern pieces so that it makes it a lot easier in the future.

This skirt is just a simple A-line skirt, with a zipper fastening at the back, but I love it and can wear it with so much. The only problem that I discovered afterwards is that it's really bad for static - it clings and bunches something shocking if I'm wearing tights or leggings underneath - so I really should have lined it.



I was inspired by Feelin Crafty's Backgammon Skirt Tutorial to make this. The tutorial was for a child's skirt, so I just used my existing skirt pattern and used her pattern pieces for the triangles. I learnt a huge lesson with this one: it's very important to cut out your pieces accurately! I cut out most of these triangle pieces while watching a movie, and I must have been distracted because when I sewed them all together, it looked shocking. I had to unpick it all and trim the triangle pieces down to the exact right shape, and then started over again. It was worth it, but boy was I glad to be finished this one.

I did learn from my previous skirt though, and lined the border with anti-static lining - success! No bunching or clinginess from this skirt, so I think this will be my winter denim skirt that I wear with thick tights/leggings and boots. And in Melbourne, that usually becomes my staple outfit for at least 6 months of the year.

7 comments:

  1. These look so wearable, a really nice everyday skirt! A trick for static is to run a tumble drier sheet over the fabric, I've tried it and it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've tried other things, but hadn't heard of using a drier sheet so I will give that a go :)

      Delete
  2. The skirts' look so lovely and oh so practical! Well done for having the patience to sew in those diamond shapes. Skirts are my favourite so I might be knocking on your door soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum :) you know I'm always happy to make things for you xx

      Delete
  3. Your backgammon skirt is perfect! Looks terrific -- how did you hem the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco! I lined the bottom border before attaching it to the main skirt body, so that's why there's no visible hem. It was good to encase and hide all of the seams at the back of all those triangles that I had to sew together.

      Delete