Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cute Dress for Miss J

I'm so excited and just a little proud of myself on completing this dress, as this is the first time I've made something using a pattern (well, unless you count my pathetic attempt years ago in school, but I really don't think you should ... ). I also pretty much figured it all out by myself, except for some moral support by Ash whilst doing the buttonholes (which don't scare me as much anymore!).

I used the pattern Simplicity 5489 (with some changes, including lengthening it a little) and the fabric, called "Raindrops Stripe Pink", from the "Rainy Days and Mondays" collection, is by designer Riley Blake whose fabrics I just love. I bought it online from Funky Fabrix.



I had planned on using some dark pink buttons, but Ash suggested the green ones instead and I really think they make a big difference and love the look.

It's for my niece's 4th birthday in a few weeks, who lives in Fiji, so I hope she likes it.

3 comments:

  1. How GORGEOUS!!! You've got me inspired to try and make something for Emily - I think a dress like this would be perfect to try. Roll on summer though....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Rae for my birthday next year!! Looks like I have to get my order in early for some funky summer clothes. You amaze me...love the artistic side of you showing more and more. Your Grandpa (my Dad) always had the 'arty' genes and excelled at everything he painted and made. Go girl!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, just found this website where people review sewing patterns: http://sewing.patternreview.com/ Just type in the pattern number in the box on the left and you can see what others that have used them think, pretty handy and I've found a couple I might attempt... sometime when I feel brave!

    ReplyDelete